Bathing Suits after Abdominoplasty
One of the most popular questions about tummy tuck surgery is whether or not a scar will be visible when wearing a bathing suit. According to Chicago plastic surgeon Dr. Otto Placik, the answer to that question depends on a number of factors. Plastic surgery is much more than just a technical procedure. It requires an aesthetic eye and an experienced hand, as well as highly advanced technical know-how. The final result will depend on how these parts work together.
Four important factors that influence the place of tummy tuck scars include:
- Surgeon preference. Just like all professionals, surgeons develop individual preferences based on past experience, training, and aesthetic judgment. Surgeons often prefer to approach incision sites according to these preferences because they have had good experience with them in the past. You should feel free to discuss Dr. Placik's specific experience prior to your tummy tuck. Dr. Placik generally asks his patients to bring in a particular piece of clothing they would like to wear after surgery, so that he can take patient desires into consideration
- Fashion trends. Current clothing styles often influence the placement of tummy tuck scars. In the 1980's, the "French cut" bikini craze meant that surgeons used incisions that used a "smile" shaped scar. Now, because of the popularity of "low rider" pants, the ends of the incision are lower. However, because of the cut of "low rider" pants, the ends of the incision are sometimes visible
- Existing scars and anatomy. Patients who have other abdominal surgery, like gall bladder surgery, may have special circumstances to consider when Dr. Placik decides on incision placement. A patient's individual anatomy can also change incision placement
- Procedure type. Traditional tummy tucks also involve the most scarring. A "mini" tummy tuck with involve less scarring. Dr. Placik will determine the right procedure for you, based on your individual needs.
Before your tummy tuck, it is important to communicate with Dr. Placik any concerns you may have about wearing that bikini after surgery. He will explain his process and procedures to you, and work with you to understand your personal needs.
Over time, most tummy tuck patients find that their scars fade and are therefore less noticeable. Dr. Placik can work with you to help reduce scar appearance. While scars cannot be eliminated entirely, new laser based techniques can help drastically improve their appearance.
If you live in the Chicago area and want to more about scarring after a tummy tuck, please contact Dr. Otto Placik's Chicago area offices to schedule a consultation.
Visit our FAQs
section to find out more about Tummy Tucks
For more information on tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty)
and how it can improve your figure, call Dr. Otto Placik at (847)
398-1660 or (312) 787-5313, or contact us online.
||Associated Plastic Surgeons,
Otto J. Placik, M.D., F.A.C.S.
(847) 398-1660 or (312) 787-5313
Arlington Heights and Chicago, Illinois
| Dr. Placik | Tummy
Tuck | Before & After Photos |
Questions | Other Procedures
| Patient Comments | Financing
| Contact Us | Site